As Dr. Longinow asks me to put myself in the shoes of a Muslim in today's military, it's a little too far out of reach.
The military life is one that's familiar to me, as I am dating the Army. It's comfortable and secure. But that's because we come from Protestant, middle-class backgrounds. For a Muslim in today's military, it's not a safe haven, and it's by no means comfortable.
If I were a Muslim in today's military, I would definitely be a "luke-warm" Muslim, though I'm not sure that those even exist. I would probably try not to practice my faith in public, and I would dodge any and all reporters coming to me with questions. I'd have way too many questions of my own and be discouraged to answer any coming from outside.
I'd see it as unfair, and biased. I'd divert my gaze when I'd pass people, for fear that they'd blame me, or my people, for this tragedy. People wouldn't understand that I'm not like Hasan. I'm a peace keeping person, and I don't want to be grouped into the same catgory as Hasan. I'd want to stick to my faith, but at what cost?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well-written and compassionate, Carizza.
ReplyDelete